Thursday, May 19, 2011

List of Things To Do

When we met with the builders and made some of the decisions, we knew we needed to get started right away with some of our plans.
We opted to:
- Research and purchase all of our own appliances
- Buy a farm sink instead of using the stainless steel sink they would have provided
- Build and install all of the cabinetry in the entire house
- Install all trim work which includes: base, case, hang interior doors, railings, and closet organizers
- 2 tone paint the entire house
- Add extra insulation (in areas that weren't standard)
- Rough-in central vacuum system
- Install fireplace and mantle
- Provide the master vanity top and faucet

It was important to order the appliances as soon as possible so that we'd be able to design the kitchen cabinetry with all of the correct dimensions of each appliance.  I spent hours days researching appliances online, in catalogs, and called on "Pop" to dig up the Consumer Reports Buying Guide of 2010.
In the end, we decided to go with GE appliances.  I felt like it was important to order all of the same brand so that the finishes and hardware all matched.  I'm a "matchy-matchy" kind of girl, ya know!
I also researched kitchen sinks and faucets like no other.  Who knew there were so many choices.  I hit up the local pluming supply store and found out a little more info on them.  I knew I needed to have a Moen faucet (per builder) so that made that part easy.  Sinks were a little tricky.  My requirements:  white and single basin.  I wasn't set on a farm sink but after comparing prices and products, it appeared that a farm sink was the way to go.
Everything was ordered (probably the most money I've spent all at once- besides for a car, of course) and delivered just a few short weeks later.  I didn't really plan out exactly where I was going to store stuff once it came, so thanks Mom & Dad for letting our appliances live in the garage for months!
 Super exciting for The Boys to have a semi-truck in the driveway!
 Because of the fragile nature of this delivery, it needed to be inspected right after delivery incase I needed to send it back with the dude who just dropped it off.  No need to worry though!
 Appliance tower in the garage.

No comments: